Why Continued Education is So Important to Your Design CareerSep 08, 2023
As an interior designer, you know how important it is to develop your skills and stay informed of the latest industry trends. Not only does this make you a valuable asset to colleagues and clients alike, but continuing education can also help bolster your career advancement.
But beyond what many designers may think, there are deeper benefits that come from engaging in continued learning — ones that tap into the behind-the-scenes aspects of design work. In this blog article, we'll explore why committing yourself to build upon your current knowledge base can be so beneficial, as well as provide strategies to get the most out of continued education efforts. Come along on a journey into why continuing education should be an integral part of every interior design professional's development plan.
Understanding the Power of Continuing Education
At its core, continuing education is about keeping your knowledge and skills current. It's a great way to ensure that you’re creating designs that match the latest trends and technologies, but it has far greater implications than just being on top of what’s trendy.
Continuing education can also help you develop a much deeper understanding of design principles and techniques, business management, marketing and social strategies, sales processes, and the necessary tools for creating a successful career or business.
In short, continuing education provides you with a much larger toolkit to draw from when it comes time to build a design business — and your clients will notice.
Surprising Benefits of Investing in Business and Marketing Knowledge
Interior design isn’t just about choosing the right color palette and furniture. It requires a keen understanding of how to effectively market yourself and your business, as well as forging relationships with clients that will last for years.
Taking the time to invest in courses and classes which focus on business strategies, marketing techniques, and communication skills can help you move forward more confidently.
When I first started working in the industry, the architecture firm I worked at would bring in manufacturers to give their CEU presentations every Thursday over lunch. Over that hour, we would learn something related to their product. I would attend every week, but it didn't take long before I realized that these product CEUs weren't useful to my design work or building a business. I knew I wanted my own firm. I wanted to know more about how the business made money, marketed itself, and gained the right clients.
I sought out courses that would help me understand the principles of running a design business, including accounting and marketing. Even though I have over 20 plus years in marketing and ten years as an entrepreneur, opportunities and strategies change, making it a requirement to learn continuously.
Having a clear understanding of how a business continually makes money can dramatically impact your ability to serve your clients. This knowledge directly influences the structure of your designs, how you communicate with clients, and the strategies you use to market your services.
With a solid grasp of income generation, you can ensure financial stability while meeting your clients’ needs effectively. This understanding can also influence your pricing strategies, helping you balance competitive pricing and ensuring the profitability of your business. In essence, understanding the financial aspects of a business does not only ensure your survival but also enhances your capacity to provide top-notch service to your clients.
Next, having knowledge of marketing will help you reach the right audience in the most effective way. You’ll learn how to craft a unique message that resonates with your ideal clients through various promotional channels, such as social media campaigns and online advertising.
Finally, communication is key for any business owner. Good communication skills will help you build strong relationships with clients and vendors alike while ensuring that all expectations are clearly communicated. This will also help you develop a strong reputation as an expert in your field.
Continually investing in education can help business owners stay ahead of the competition while improving their service quality and client satisfaction. With the right courses and classes, you can learn the necessary skills to take your business to the next level - enhancing your brand voice, marketing, and profits.
12 Strategies for Continuing Education Success
Although interior designers are required to acquire continued education credits each year, not all credits are worth giving up an hour of your time. It is important to evaluate the courses you are considering making sure they will benefit your business and give you the most value.
To make sure you are getting the most out of your continuing education, you can use a few strategies to make the most of your time.
- Set an objective - Before signing up for any classes or workshops, understand what goals you want to achieve and how these courses will help you achieve them.
- Research the course - Take the time to research the course ahead of time. Read reviews of the course, talk to people who have taken it, and look at the instructor's background.
- Prioritize courses that will have the biggest impact on your business - Take a deep dive into your weaknesses to determine where you will most benefit from taking a course. Look for courses that will help you develop a deeper understanding of specific topics that are important to growing your business.
- Take notes - When attending a continuing education seminar, take notes and review them afterward to make sure you are retaining what is being taught.
- Do the homework - Most continuing education courses will have assignments and tasks that require you to apply what is being taught. Make sure to take the time to complete your assignments so you can get the most out of the course.
- Attend local events - Look for events in your area that can provide more hands-on learning experiences. These events can be great networking opportunities and can give you a better understanding of what is going on in your field.
- Utilize online resources to save time and money. There are many online courses that can provide you with the same knowledge and skills as a traditional course. Investigate options such as blogs, podcasts, webinars, or eBooks to find the best way for you to learn.
- Take advantage of networking opportunities. Ask your colleagues, peers, and mentors about courses they have taken that may benefit you. Look for conferences or workshops that offer the opportunity to meet others in your field who can share their experiences.
- Follow up after the event - After attending an event or taking a course, follow up with the instructor or other attendees to keep the conversation going and ensure you are learning all you can about the topic. Many speakers will offer a lead magnet to further educate beyond the time allotted.
- Finally, document your learning experience to refer to it later. Keep a list of all the courses you have attended and what skills you gained from them. Summarize what you learned by going through your notes and writing down action items to help you apply what you learned. If the course is an IDCEC-accredited course, make sure your credit is submitted to IDCEC.
- Record your successes in order to track how much progress you have made. This will also help you decide if there are any additional courses that may be beneficial for you as well as motivate you to continue learning.
Learning Helps Build Confidence and Adjust Our Mindset
Continuing your education can increase your confidence and help you adjust your mindset to develop yourself further. When you gain knowledge or learn a new skill, it builds up your confidence and encourages self-growth. Taking the time to understand certain concepts can also help you better assess and approach problems in both work and life. Education is not only limited to formal classes but can also come from taking on new challenges and tasks or even expanding your interests.
The journey of self-improvement often starts with trying to educate yourself in various areas and discovering ways to apply what you have learned to life. Learning is a continuous process that allows for growth, providing us with the tools to stay current in our field.
Finally, never stop learning! As entrepreneurs, we often think of ourselves as experts in our field, but continuing education is essential for success. Take every opportunity to stay on top of the latest trends, hone in on your skillset, and refresh yourself with new knowledge that will help you develop and grow your business.
Transform Your Interior Design Business from Average to Extraordinary with Jackie Green
Start your journey to a profitable business, increase your visibility, and build the business of your dreams. Sign up for a 30-minute call, and you'll get a complimentary bonus - Behind the Design's 1-Month Focus Planner, electronically.
This electronic file includes a Monthly Focus Plan, Weekly Focus Plan, and Daily Focus Plan for one month. With this tool, you can prioritize your month, week, and day to guarantee that you're working on the tasks that will drive your business forward. Don't miss out on this opportunity to take control of your success.
Sign Up for Our Monthly Newsletter
Get helpful career, business, and design tips right in your inbox each month.
At Behind the Design, we are committed to building a stronger design community by reimagining education, training, and support for interior designers. Through our various software training options, educational articles covering everything from leadership to marketing, and soon Continuing educational courses, we are committed to helping you. Join our newsletter to get the latest education and training updates.